Several Butler County educators are among those nominated for the 2020 Kansas Teacher of the Year award.
Nominees were announced Tuesday via a Kansas State Department of Education news release and included recognition of Kansas teachers from four regions spanning the entire state.
Butler County falls in Region 4 with five educators being nominated from local schools: Tiffany Arnold, Augusta Middle School; Denise Johnson, Blackmore Elementary School, El Dorado; Carla Ryan, Remington Middle School, Remington-Whitewater; Shala Willis, Robinson Elementary School, Augusta; Kara Belew, Andover Central High School; and Chase Casteel, Flinthills High School.
A reception for Region 4 educators is set for 5 p.m. followed by dinner and awards ceremony at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Double Tree by Hilton Hotel, 2098 Eisenhower Airport Parkway in Wichita.
The mission of the Kansas Teacher of the Year program is to build and utilize a network of exemplary teachers who are leaders in the improvement of schools, student performance and the teaching profession, the release said.
This year, 131 educators from across the state were nominated for the Kansas Teacher of the Year distinction. Nominations are made in each of the four congressional districts in the state. The Kansas State Department of Education, sponsor of the Kansas Teacher of the Year program, appoints regional selection panels comprised of teachers, education administrators and higher education representatives to select semifinalists and finalists from each region.
Each panel selects six semifinalists – three elementary teachers and three secondary teachers. From those semifinalists, the panel in each region then selects one elementary finalist and one secondary finalist. The Kansas Teacher of the Year is selected from among the state’s eight regional finalists. The 2020 Kansas Teacher of the Year State Awards Banquet will be Saturday, Nov. 23, 2019, at the Wichita Marriott Hotel.
REGION 4 NOMINEES
· Marnie Baxter, McCollom Elementary School, Wichita USD 259.
· Kristin Dooley, Maize South Elementary School, Maize USD 266.
· Micah Friesen, Nelson Elementary School, Haysville USD 261.
· Jessica Hanvey, Southwest Elementary School, Pratt USD 382.
· Denise Johnson, Blackmore Elementary School, El Dorado USD 490.
· Tia Jones, Garden Plain Elementary School, Renwick USD 267.
· Rochelle Mann, Amelia Earhart Elementary School, Goddard USD 265.
· Tabatha Rosproy, Country View Elementary School, Winfield USD 465.
· Faith Rucker, Marshall Elementary School, Eureka USD 389.
· Carla Ryan, Remington Middle School, Remington-Whitewater USD 206.
· Kay “Kaynette” Scheck, South Barber Pre-K-6, South Barber USD 255.
· Jordan Trego, Wheatland Elementary School, Valley Center USD 262.
· Holly Wills, Paul B. Cooper Elementary School, Derby USD 260.
· Shala Wills, Robinson Elementary School, Augusta USD 402.
· Tiffany Arnold, Augusta Middle School, Augusta USD 402.
· Kara Belew, Andover Central High School, Andover USD 385.
· Ann Burgett, Northwest High School, Wichita USD 259.
· Chase Casteel, Flinthills High School, Flinthills USD 492.
· Ron Cox, Clearwater High School, Clearwater USD 264.
· Paul Graves, Haysville Middle School, Haysville USD 261.
· Wayne Greenlee, Caldwell High School, Caldwell USD 360.
· Amy Hammett, Maize Senior High School, Maize USD 266.
· Meagan Henry, South Barber 7-12, South Barber USD 255.
· Heather Potter, Goddard Middle School, Goddard USD 265.
· Christy Reams, Winfield Middle School, Winfield USD 465.
· Eric Rockers, Garden Plain High School, Renwick USD 267.
· Kimberly Stucky, Derby North Middle School, Derby USD 260.
· Aaron Tschetter, Valley Center Middle School, Valley Center USD 262.