September meeting notes
The El Dorado USD 490 Board of Education met on Monday, Sept. 10.
The following includes some of the action at that meeting.
At 6 p.m. the board recessed into an executive session for a period of 30 minutes to discuss an individual employee performance pursuant to the KOMA non-elected personnel exemption with Board members, the Superintendent, and Executive Director of Fiscal/Support Services present.
The board returned to general session at at 6:30 p.m. The board approved the agenda.
The board approved the Consent Calendar.
2018-19 Site Councils Extracurricular Review Committee Early Graduation Requests Information
Bernie Spradling, Haley Remsberg, and Robert Lane addressed the Board to express interest in being considered for the vacant School Board seat.
• JAG “5 of 5” Recognition – Clarence Wagner, JAG Specialist
• Skelly – Principal Stan Ruff, and teachers Keri Hadley and Jennifer Gingerich shared information on the communication app Class DoJo, which is accessed by over 90% of Skelly parents to connect with teachers to keep apprised of student behavior, receive classroom reminders, and study materials.
• Director of Technology Update – Doug Jensen, Executive Director of Technology, provided an update on projects completed over the summer, including updated STEM labs, installation of network switches at EHS, and installation of tech components at the new buildings. He also provided a demonstration on Apple Classroom, Notes, and Clips that is used by teachers and students.
• Construction Update – Sue Givens reviewed the PAC Rededication Ceremony program. Final punch list items are being completed in preparation for Sunday’s ceremony at the PAC. Trainings have been conducted on the lights, sound, and video board systems. Drainage issues at Grandview have been addressed.
• KASB Video “Seven Powers of School Boards” – Board members viewed a short training video provided by KASB.
After inquiries regarding potential purchase of the former school sites, the board directed the superintendent and district agent to schedule and adver- tise a sealed-bid sale with minimum price established by market compara- bles.
The board authorized the Superintendent and real estate broker to develop a sealed bid process, reserving the right to reject any and all bids, for both the former Grandview and Lincoln properties, with restriction that the land cannot be used for a K-12 educational institution.
A template provided at the KASB Leadership Training has been customized for USD 490 to be shared as a website and handbook reference directing patrons to the appropriate source regarding district operations or programs.
The board approved the template as presented.
The board approved the following USD 490 recommendations.
Lorra Gillis, Middle School Girls Tennis Coach;
Tonya Good, District Copiest;
Tod Johnson, High School Robotics Sponsor, replacing Steven Maus; High School Assistant Track Coach, replacing Steven Maus; High School Fresh- man Assistant Basketball Coach;
Jessica McClure, EMS Assistant Drama Coach;
Dylan Richardson, High School Assistant Football Coach;
Kari Vang, Middle School Assistant Cheer Coach;
Stephanie Lister, Sub Custodian;
Antwan Mays, Middle School Assistant Football Coach;
Jaclyn Anderson, Building Aide at Blackmore Elementary, replacing Cammy Brown;
Nancy Basquez, Accompanist, replacing John Neumann;
Connie Herrin, Bus Aide, replacing Shirley Reed;
Amy Joiner, Bus Aide, replacing Brenda Sherman;
Ty Kemp, Sub Bus Driver, replacing Kay Riggle;
Laura Spradlin, Accompanist, replacing John Neumann;
Deena Eaton, Middle School 7th grade Assistant Volleyball Coach;
Amanda Brewer, Project Lead the Way Aide at Skelly Elementary; Kristy Lowrey, Director of Operations/Transportation;
Lorraine Lowrey, Sub Custodian;
Isaac Pantoja, Middle School Boys Basketball Coach;
Paulette Porter, Food Service Sub;
Jason Williams, Middle School Boys Basketball Coach;
Mary Ketley, Blackmore Elementary Food Service;
Brenda Carr, from Nurse Aide at El Dorado High School to Blackmore Elementary;
Misty Currier, from .5 Skelly Third Grade Teacher to Blackmore .5 4-yr-old At Risk Teacher;
Christy Fletcher, from Transportation Secretary to Dispatcher;
Leta Kocher, from Building Aide at Blackmore to Project Lead The Way Aide at Skelly;
Jessica Michaelis, from .5 to 1.0 Skelly Third Grade Teacher, replacing Misty Currier;
Virgil Reed, from Support Services Foreman to Operations Supervisor; James Scott, from Mechanic to Mechanic/Transportation Supervisor
• Friday, September 28 at 2:00 p.m.- Early Dismissal & Homecoming Parade.