A glimpse at our community's past
70 YEARS AGO
After several years renting different halls and buildings up and down State Street, the growing Local 246 of the Oil Workers Union had a permanent address at 408 State, formerly occupied by Bacon Brothers Motor Company.
For a mere 75 cents a day, residents with good references could rent a vacuum cleaner from Davis Plumbing & Heating Co.
The new Chamber of Commerce signs to be placed at the three main entrances to the city, had been completed by John Bourget and were ready to be erected. The signs would bear the new slogan “Augusta, City of 5,000 Friends.”
60 YEARS AGO
The response to the Augusta Library’s sponsored Story Hour was tremendous so it was decided to have regular Story Hours in the council room at the city building with Wreathea Hicks in charge.
The Augusta Lions Club was hosting a big auction at Fourth and State Streets to raise funds for a new electric scoreboard at Worl Field.
The Seventh Street Lunch at 215 E. Seventh St. had a new owner, C.C. Rowsey. The speciality was “Real Texas BBQ.”
50 YEARS AGO
Newton Male was elected president of the Augusta USD 402 Board of Education.
The Scholfield Brothers and the Plaza IGA served up 500 pounds of hamburgers and over 500 hot dogs at the annual Little League Boys and Softball Girls Picnic at Garvin Park.
The Chamber of Commerce formed a committee to discuss a plan to beautify the 500 block of State Street.
40 YEARS AGO
Walt Sharp was elected president of Augusta Board of Education.
The Augusta highway sign at K-254 and Ohio Street that was erected in 1964 by the Augusta Soroptimist Club, had been refurbished by John Bourget, who had also worked on the original sign. The refurbished sign had special lettering that was visible at night.
Charles W. Gustafson, retired Augusta High School principal, had died at 83.
30 YEARS AGO
The Augusta Drive-In, built in 1952, was preparing for its 35th year.
Ted Kimble, AHS 1980 graduate and 1985 WSU graduate, was named legislative assistant to Congressman Bob Whittaker.
Three juveniles were charged and being held in El Dorado in the connection with the shooting death of a rural Leon couple.
20 YEARS AGO
Melissa Tovar of Augusta had been named to the Who’s Who Among American High School Students directory for the third time.
Pam Karslake of Rose Hill was named principal of Lincoln Elementary.
Steve Garner, a family practice physician, had joined the Wichita Clinic in Augusta.
10 YEARS AGO
Bob McCalla was elected president of the Augusta Board of Education.
Carter Zerbe of Augusta was elected to chairman of the BCC Board of Trustees.
Life Church, 1010 Osage, was moving to a temporary home at the CP Ranch, north of town.