The First Church of the Nazarene in El Dorado invites the public to join them as they celebrate the 100th anniversary of their church. The celebration will be held Sunday, Oct. 15 – starting with worship at 11 a.m. and a meal with fellowship following.
The First Pentecostal Church of the Nazarene was organized in El Dorado in 1917. For some time, they worshiped in a building called "The Tabernacle" located on North Star Street. In 1919, the Pentecostal Church of the Nazarene changed its name to the Church of the Nazarene. Eventually, they left the North Star location and worshiped in the building on West First Street between Washington and Taylor Streets.
In 1954, the present church structure at 202 N Taylor St. was planned and completed. The Rev. C.C. Ingersol was the pastor during that time. A time capsule was put in the building's cornerstone when the building was being finished, and the capsule was taken out a few weeks ago. The time capsule will be opened at the 100-year celebration.
Currently, the church is beginning a new phase of outreach within their community by focusing on the needy – especially during these difficult economic times. Their mission is to be the body of Christ: hands reaching, feet going and hearts caring.
Those who are unable to attend the celebration are invited to write down memories they would like to share and mail them to the church's address (zip code 67042) or P.O. Box 1277. Memories can also be emailed to email@example.com.