A glimpse at our county's past

El Dorado
1933
The new stone bridge at the north end of Lake El Dorado, built with federal relief funds, was complete and open to the public.
1938
Members of the women’s division of the Butler County Farm Bureau were planning their annual Play Day at Shady Rest, northwest of Augusta.
The musical community bands of El Dorado and Leon presented a special combined concert at Gordy Park.
The “Airconditioned” El dorado Theater was showing “Always Goodbye” starring Barbara Stanwyck and Herbert Marshall.
A stretch of road, approximately 7 miles in length, extending from Kiser Corner, 2 1/2 miles southwest of El Dorado, to the west city limits of Towanda, was going to be paved.
1953
Mayor Ted Banks was El Dorado’s representative at the first TV program telecast in Hutchinson at KTVH.
1958
The El Dorado Times continued to run the Lost and Found Tornado list.
Rev. Donald E. Crenshaw was the new pastor of the El Dorado First Church of Nazarene.
Miss Lu Rogers, one of El Dorado’s only two women attorneys, had retired after 35 years of practicing law.
Farm & City Market, 700 S. Main, was advertising 2 lbs. of bananas for 25 cents, 1 lb. cantaloupes 10 cents, and 1 lb. bag of carrots, 10 cents.
1968
The City Manager assured residents that the City would spend no money concerning the MGM filming of the movie “Gypsy Moths.”  The studio paid to paint playground equipment at Gordy Park.
Augusta
1948
Mrs. Florence Dennett had opened the Lakeview Cafe at the Dennett Corner west of Augusta.
Roy Crandall, Little Ranger engineer, had died.  He was known as “Santa Fe Santa Claus” by children up and down the line from Emporia to Winfield.
Ohio Street from High Street to Kelly Road was going to be paved.
1968
Former employees and residents of Haskins Camp southeast of Augusta, enjoyed a basket dinner in Winfield.  The Haskins area first produced oil in 1917.
The mercury surpassed the 100 degree mark three days in a row.
2008
City Park Board members were discussing a dog park proposal.
Eric Christinat was the new director of Downtown Augusta, Inc.  He would succeed Julie Roller.
Ezrie Berggren, Ewalt fourth grader, was awarded second place in the National Reading Rainbow Young Writers & Illustrators Contest 2008.
Reed Park would soon be getting brand new playground equipment.  Diseased trees had been removed and new trees planted.
Carter Zerbe of Augusta was re-elected as chair of the Butler Community College trustees, Ted Dankert as vice chair and Greg Joyce, secretary-treasurer.