A look at Augusta's past

Not as many men were being employed at the German prisoner of war camp on the Hazlett Ranch as had been expected.  Because of wet fields, only a few were employed but expectations were more would be working soon.
Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, 4-H clubs and others, under the direction of the County, were out gathering milk weed pods. The floss from the milk weed was to be used in the making of Navy life belts.  The floss would take the place of the dwindling supply of Kapok from the West Indies, which was normally used.  The government was paying 20 cents per sack for dried pods and 15 cents per sack for green.
Augusta was saddened to learn that Lt. Buel Robinson, son of Superintendent and Mrs. H.H. Robinson, was missing in action over Germany.  He was a navigator on a Fortress.
Augusta was boiling at 112 degrees in a tiresome  heat wave.  Although readings for a week in Augusta had been unusually high, it was not the record.  An all-time high for Augusta was set on July 18, 1936, when the mercury reached a scorching 121 degrees.  That was the highest official reading ever recorded for the community.  
An estimated $300 in currency was taken from the safe at Robinson Electric at 420 State.  Entry was gained from the alley.
Downtown’s sidewalks were closed for the ever popular Sidewalk Bazaar. In addition to merchants setting up on the sidewalks, kiddie rides and Santa (!) were in front of Cooper Drugs.  The volunteer Department of Safety brought in the old Stutz fire engine and provided rides for more than 600 children.  Top prizes in the costume contest went to Nelva Wentz and Trini Alfaro.
Mr. and Mrs. Jake Palmer had announced they were selling the Tastee Freez at the corner of 4th & State to Mr. and Mrs. Lee Miller. The Palmers had operated the business for six years.
A Meals On Wheels program was set to begin in Augusta.
The second anniversary and celebration of Ed Wiliamson’s ownership of the Plaza IGA was underway.
George L. Freeman retired after 43 years with Santa Fe Railroad.
Sherri Simmons, rural Augusta, was a winner of the state livestock award at the Kansas 4-H Emerald Circle Banquet in Manhattan.
Leon artist Pete Johnson had designed a belt buckle for the Harvest Home Festival in Leon. Profits from sales would go to fundraising for a city park.
Kansas Turnpike Authority announced plans for an interchange at Andover.
Ten year-old Wayne Robertson had written to President Bill Clinton and was excited to receive a correspondence from the president.
Augusta 402 BOE member Jerry Primm had resigned.  The BOE was soliciting names for anyone interested in serving the unexpired term.
City officials in Douglass were denying allegations of union-busting after 10 employees had been terminated.  Half of the 10 had asked the City for permission to form a union a year earlier.  Four law suits  were pending and one settled out of court.