Reorganization of board
The USD 490 Board of Education made several appointments during their meeting Monday evening.
They began with the reorganization of the board. Monty Hughey was elected board president; Deb Wheeler as vice president; Melissa Smith, administrative assistant, as board clerk; and Mike Ronen, assistant superintendent, as deputy clerk.
They also appointed Lynda Sharp, director of human resources, and Sherry Bilson, HR assistant, as the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS) representatives; Wendy McAdoo as board treasurer; Smith, board clerk, as Food Service Program representative; Superintendent Sue Givens as hearing officer for the free and reduced meal application appeals; Skelly Assistant Principal Chad Schuetz as local consolidated plan coordinator; Scott Starkey as the KASB governmental relations delegate; Bernie Spradling as the representative to the Special Education Cooperative Board; Vicki Coash as the ex-officio representative to the Partners In Education Executive Board; Cathy Cooper as ex-officio representative to El Dorado, Inc.; Givens as the district freedom of information officer; Kim Webb, director of information services, as district records custodian; Tom Storrer and Deb Wheeler as board representative and alternate to serve on the board negotiations team for 2014-15; Wheeler and Spradling as representatives on the District Steering Committee; and Hughey and Storrer as representatives and Starkey as alternate for the Educational Facility Authority of Butler County.
They also set the 2014-15 board meetings, which will will be held the second Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. There also will be fifth Monday strategic plan work sessions.
In other action, the board appointed representatives to serve on the school site councils next year. Those appointed were Wheeler for Skelly Elementary, Storrer for Jefferson and Lincoln Elementary schools, Cooper for Grandview Elementary, Starkey for El Dorado Middle School and Hughey for El Dorado High School.
In other business, the board:
• approved the consent calendar part one and two.
• received the recommended policy updates by the Kansas Association of School Boards. They will receive staff recommendation and take action on this at their next meeting.
• approved the Title I Parent Involvement Policy.
• reviewed board agenda items for the 2014-15 board meetings.
• approved classified and administrative pay increases, including: a 2 percent increase for all classified and administrative personnel, an additional 75 cents per hour for CDL bus drivers and those earning an hourly rate less than $14 last school year and an additional 50 cents per hour for all food service workers hired last school year and those whose hourly rate was less than $9 an hour last year.
• approved personnel recommendations.
• heard announcements of new teacher orientation on Aug. 4, walk-in enrollment on Aug. 5 and the all-staff meeting on Aug. 6.
BOE members Wheeler and Starkey were absent during the meeting.