Andover Fire Chief Jim Shaver was honored at Tuesday evening’s Andover City Council meeting as he prepares to enter retirement.
Mayor Ben Lawrence presented Shaver with a captain’s clock, congratulating him in his retirement.
“Thank you for all the years of service you’ve given the community, you’ve given the fire department and all of us up here,” Lawrence said. “We congratulate you on your retirement and you will be sorely missed. You’ve been a good fried, you’ve been a good chief and you’ve been good for this community. We wish you the best of luck.”
Shaver commented that it’s been a pleasure and Andover is a great community. The new chief is “getting a bunch of good guys. They’ll make him look good,” he said.
Shaver started in Andover in April 2003 and his last day is Friday.
The City Council also:
• approved a request for use of Central Park, road closure and facility usage on April 26 for a 5K fun run and silent auction. Funds raised will help with medical costs for a young girl with an aggressive form of leukemia.
• approved Shadow Rock Addition 20 year specials and 15 years of credit.
• approved Baughman contract for Shadow Rock engineering services.
• approved Cornerstone 4th Additional paving and drainage plans and the taking of bids for it.
• authorized the mayor to sign a contract for stage rental agreement with the City of Wichita for another free concert in the park in Andover on June 21.
• heard a Chamber of Commerce update. Chamber President Travis Griffin said the chamber recently elected three new board members, a new Web site is coming out next month and First Friday is returning in May.