A look at Augusta's past



Police Chief R. O. Jackson was warning residents to keep their dogs at home. Five people had been bitten by dogs in one week.

Report from Allied headquarters in Algiers stated that Lt. William R. Randsdall, Augusta, a P-40 pilot, made a forced landing in enemy territory after his plane developed engine trouble. He walked for several hours and saw a group of soldiers. He hid behind a rock until he was sure the soldiers were Americans.

The Leon Methodist Church held the annual Ground Hog Supper.

Prices at the local Safeway: matches, 6 box carton, 29 cents; large box of Oxydol, 23 cents; beef roast, 25 cents a pound; Maxwell House coffee, 34 cents a pound.



The Augusta Chamber of Commerce was planning the construction of new and modern signs on all roads leading into town.

There was ongoing discussion concerning the new construction of Highway 54 west of Augusta and whether it would be moved north of its original location.

Bloomington School was hosting a Ground Hog Supper and Cake Walk.



The Augusta High School Class of 1962 was engaged in soliciting funds to be used for a scholarship in memory of two former classmates, who had lost their lives the previous summer; Kenneth Obenchain and Frederick Cox.

The “big engine” for the city’s electric plant had arrived via Santa Fe railroad from Goshen, Ind. The new dual-fuel generator would boost the plant capacity to take care of almost any anticipated peak load.

The Augusta Junior High basketball team had played every team in the league and remained undefeated.

Former Kansas Governor George Docking had died.



The new federal speed limit was 55 m.p.h.

Mr. and Mrs. Cletus Kappelmann were crowned king and queen of the St. James Mardi Gras. They were selected for the honor over 69 other couples in attendance.

Jerry Boyce was hired as athletic director and head football coach at Butler County Community College.

Lori Palmer was first place winner in the ticket sale competition for the Lincoln School Chili Feed.



After more than 27 years in the school district as a maintenance man, Dave Tipton had retired.

Jerry Harrison was honored for his 40 years as a volunteer firefighter.

Jill Burress was crowned the 1984 AHS basketball homecoming queen.



Nathan Rea was the winner of the Augusta Middle School spelling bee and Sabrina Sharp was runner-up.

Troop 209 Boy Scouts Jason Gannon and Brice Markos became Eagle Scouts.

The Augusta freshman boys basketball team kept its undefeated record in tact with a narrow 54-53 win over Andover. They had won 11 straight games.