A fire in a soffit roof overhang at the Cancun Mexican Grill at 2521 W. Central Ave appeared to have started around a light fixture Monday evening.
The soffit area, where heavy smoke and flames were protruding, was open to the entire attic space of the roof. The fire charred the rafters and underside of the roof upwards almost to gable peak.
Firefighters made a quick attack to suppress the fire. The front facing over the burning soffit area was removed as was the gable facing alongside the top of the roof.
The extremely cold weather produced icy conditions for the firefighters.
El Dorado Volunteer crews as well as crews from Towanda assisted in controlling the fire. The quick and professional work of the firefighters averted what could have been a tremendous loss.