The loan request by Frigiquip International, Inc. for the amount of $90,000 was one of the items at the forefront of the Butler County Commission meeting on Tuesday morning. The company, which has been in El Doardo since 1976, currently stocks a product known as Spikes Spider, which has been referred to as "the Rolls Royce of snow chains."
The short-term loan was brought in front of the commission in hopes the turnaround would take less time.
"We had our committee review the application," said Director of Economic Development David Alfaro. "This is a very short-term loan, which is due to be paid off by Feb. 1."
"I am certainly a supporter of small local businesses," commented Commissioner Ed Myers. "I'm just not fully convinced that the loan should not be taken care of through a normal financing arrangement."
The commission approved the request for the loan with a vote of 4-1, with Commissioner Peggy Palmer opposed.
"I think we're picking and choosing what we support and I think the interest rate is too low," commented Palmer.
The regularly scheduled meeting also held the public hearing for the 2014 Butler County Budget in which the mill levy was set to 35.180, a decrease over last year.
Once the public hearing was closed, the commission discussed the final approval of the budget.
"We're lowering the tax levy for the first time in 29 years," commented Dan Woydziak. "I think we owe them [the departments of Butler County] a round of thanks for doing a good job. You're doing a good job for the taxpayers of this county."
"My goal when we started this in June was to keep the mill levy flat or decrease it and to give employees a raise," added Commissioner Mike Wheeler. "My goals have been accomplished."
The final 2014 Butler County Budget for the amount of $46,158,200 was then approved with a vote of 5-0.
The commission also:
• held a public hearing on the 2014 Butler County Fire District budgets No. 1 through 9.
• approved resolutions 13-33 through 13-37 expressing the property taxation policy of the Board of Butler County Commissioners with respect to the financing the 2014 budget for Fire Districts No. 3, No. 4, No. 6, No. 8 and No. 9.
• approved the 2014 Butler county Fire District budgets No. 1 through 9.
• held a public hearing on the 2013 budget amendments.
• approved the 2013 budget amendments.
• approved a travel request for the Butler County Public Health Emergency Preparedness coordinator.
• approved the agreement between Butler Community College School of Nursing and Butler County Health Department.
• approved a travel request for Public Works Director Darryl Lutz.
Page 2 of 2 - • approved the payment of the invoice for 2013/2014 annual fee renewal for hosting and support of Butler County's Web site.