Butler County Times Gazette
  • Latham house fire sends two to hospital

  • A house fire Thursday in Latham sent two people to the hospital.
    • email print
  • A house fire Thursday in Latham sent two people to the hospital.
    A call came in to 911 at 10 minutes after noon reporting a house on fire at 239 N. Cherry, according to Sheriff Kelly Herzet.
    Latham, Atlanta and Leon fire departments responded to the call. Upon arrival, they found a two-story home with the second floor on fire and four victims, some of whom were inside and some outside.
    "There was a lot of smoke in the downstairs area," Herzet said.
    Everyone was able to get out on their own, but two were flown by helicopter to St. Francis Hospital.
    "They all suffered from severe burns," Herzet said.
    Billy Daniels, 25, and a 4-year-old child were taken to the hospital. Norris Daniels, 75, refused treatment at the scene and Richard Daniels, 50, did not need treatment.
    The fire was investigated by the fire arson investigator out of Augusta and at this point was deemed an accidental fire, although it is still under investigation.
    The only damage to the home was a burned out bedroom upstairs and a lot of smoke, but the structure is still in tact.
    Herzet encouraged people to get out of their house if it is on fire and then call 911. He also stressed the importance of smoke alarms.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar