A look back at Augusta's past



Noah V.R. Morris, who had been with the Caldwell State Bank for 12 years, was the new assistant cashier at Prairie State Bank.

Philip Spencer’s pet, two year-old crow named “Corporal”, had flown away twice and both times had been apprehended at the Starkey farm about 3 miles from Augusta, the former residence of the Spencers. However, each time Philip went to retrieve his pet, Corporal would willingly fly to his owner.

Home, fresh from winning glory in the bombing raids in Germany, the flying fortress Memphis Belle was in Wichita for a couple of days. A detachment of 14 men with the 1088th Guard Squadron from Strother Field would be guarding the plane while it was in Wichita.

Lightning struck a barn on the T. W. Weaver farm and the barn burned to the ground. On the same night, a church in Andover was also struck and it burned to the ground.



The new Girl Scout House, located on city property at the southeast corner of the golf course, was officially open. It took volunteers a year to construct the building. A special campfire ceremony was planned.

A general meeting was held at the Clawson Store when 29 people met to discuss starting an Augusta Saddle Club.

Although one year old, the Augusta Soroptimist Club had just distinguished itself in a huge U.S. Bond drive.



The Augusta City Council voted to sell $300,000 in revenue bonds for a proposed expansion of the city electric plant. The proposed plan would authorize the addition of another generating unit for the plant.

George Mabry was elected president of the Augusta Board of Education. Max Blackwelder was elected the new vice president. Pauline Bostwick retired as the previous year’s president and also ended her third term on the local school board. Dwight Markley and Junia Barber were two new members on the board.

The Board of Education approved spending $6,885 for a new steam boiler at Garfield Elementary to be installed in the boiler building.



William “Bill” Kimble of Augusta and former local educator, had been named Assistant to the Coordinator of Medical Education at Wesley Medical Center.

A wave of vandalism to parked cars in Augusta was being investigated by the Department of Safety. At least 12 incidents of vandalism in one night had been reported.

Dennis Nesler rolled the highest score in the 16 year history of the Holiday Bowl. Nesler rolled a 721 series.



Orbie “Orb” Hicks, 60, suffered a heart attack while fishing with his brother at the Corbin Fish Farm. Orb and his brother, Dode, had operated Hicks Service Station on the northeast corner of 7th and State for nearly 40 years. Orb was a top-notch marksman and a Kansas skeet champion.

Mr. and Mrs. Jap Hurst were celebrating their 50th anniversary. Jap spent some time selling insurance, but is remembered most for his long time Ford dealership, started in 1949 with Gene Scholfield. Scholfield sold out to Hurst in 1953 and in 1967 Hurst sold out to Brooks McKnight Ford.



Alan Patterson was planning to purchase one acre at the Augusta Industrial Park to construct a building for his racing business.

AHS graduates Chris Grill and Jon Forred participated in the 20th Annual Shrine Bowl.

Kacy Anglemyer of Lily Lake 4-H Club showed the grand champion hog at the Butler County Fair. It was purchased by Frye Chevrolet of Augusta.



A week-long grand opening for the new White Eagle Credit Union, at 2830 N. Ohio, was underway.

Larry Train of Augusta paid a $2,500 premium for the grand champion beef entry shown by Lucas Conrad of Lily Lake 4-H Club.

Former Augustan Eugene “Gene” Brooks had died at 82. Brooks had operated a farm implement business and two car dealerships in Augusta, served on the board at Prairie State Bank, USD Board of Education, and Butler County Community College Board of Trustees.