Butler County Times Gazette
  • Belinda Larsen: Our Yesterdays 7-30-13

  • A look at Augusta's past
    • email print
      Comment
  • 70 YEARS AGO
    1943
    Residents were being charged for watering lawns and gardens - 20 cents per 1,000 gallons for all water used above the amount of their monthly bills.
    Due to an increase in stolen cars in the area, Police Chief R.O. Jackson was advising residents to remove their keys from their vehicles when parked.
    The government was stressing the need to conserve electricity and was urging cutting down operation of display signs to two hours in the evening, thus saving on bulbs.
    Mrs. Gladys Parker was proud of her 16 1/2 inch-wide tomatoes grown in the local victory garden.
    60 YEARS AGO
    1953
    A frog pulled from the Walnut River had seven legs! It was reported to have had the actions of a normal frog, except the three extra legs restricted its jumping ability.
    Kaneb Pipeline, a new company, was proposing construction of a pipeline from west of Winfield to Fremont, Neb. The line ran to Augusta, through El Dorado, Wichita, Potwin, McPherson, to Nebraska. Office headquarters would be housed in the Smith Building in El Dorado.
    Bobby Stanley of the U.S. Navy, was observing his 21st birthday stationed in Key West, Fla.
    Augusta experienced its first armed robbery in some time when a "customer" produced a gun and held up the Ewalt Liquor Store on E. 7th. When asked by clerk Zella Byers as he was leaving if he wanted his liquor, he declined and left it.
    50 YEARS AGO
    1963
    Over 2,000 people consumed 2,500 pounds of watermelon served at the watermelon feed sponsored by the Augusta State Bank and the Plaza IGA.
    The First Southern Baptist Church, 2300 Ohio, began a campaign to sell $32,000 in bonds for the construction of a new auditorium.
    A new all-time record was set at the Augusta electric plant, according to plant engineer Jim Rawlings. There had been two million kilowatt hours of electricity produced at the plant during the month of July.
    40 YEARS AGO
    1973
    Herbert A. Drews was the new pastor at Christ Lutheran Church.
    The new water tower near the junior high school was close to completion. Painting was being done.
    Approximately 100 Little League Baseball players turned out for a baseball clinic held by the Pittsburgh Pirates at Garvin Park. Herb Hess, scout for the Pirates, spoke and demonstrated playing techniques.
    30 YEARS AGO
    1983
    Gaylen Burrow was installed as the new pastor at Christ Lutheran.
    Page 2 of 2 - Bob and Phyllis Stanford repeated as the champions in the mixed doubles division of the Augusta Tennis Tournament.
    Resident John Murray posted a sign at Watson Lake, Canada, that read "Augusta, Kansas, population 7,304". The sign was among hundreds from other communities posted there.
    The Douglass Grain Elevator at Third & Poplar in Douglass, was destroyed in a late night fire.
    20 YEARS AGO
    1993
    Doug Wilson was the new principal at Augusta High School, succeeding Jerry Dougherty.
    Work was progressing at the new Augusta Animal Clinic on Belmont. The facility was expected to be open in the fall.
    Nancy Moody became the new manager of the Augusta Municipal Airport, succeeding C.P. McGuire.
    Christy Rader of Augusta, was named the 1993 Miss Prairie Port at the Prairie Port Festival in El Dorado.
    10 YEARS AGO
    2003
    Phil Douglas was re-elected president and Becky Weston, vice president of the Augusta School Board.
    Kansas Army National Guard Specialist Todd Hollis and other members of Engineering Company 226, Kansas National Guard, were from Operation Iraqi Freedom.
    Camp Tawakoni, adjacent to the city-owned Santa Fe Lake, was for sale but the City Council decided there was no money available to purchase the approximate 177 acres and amenities.
    The Augusta Learning Center became a reality and was preparing for an open house. Keith Sherwood was the director.

        calendar