Butler County Times Gazette
  • Belinda Larsen: Our Yesterdays 7-16-13

  • A look at Augusta's past
    • email print
  • 70 YEARS AGO
    1943
    Ellen Malcom, who christened the rescue boat “Augusta”, recently in California, told her sister Mrs. Clare Patterson of Augusta, that she was sending the remains and of the champagne bottle that was used in the ceremony to Augusta. She asked that it be placed in the historical museum for future generations to see.
    The summer band concerts ended early due to the fact that so many of the young people were going to the armed forces.
    The tallest hollyhock in town measured 10 1/2 feet and was on the lawn at Mrs. Ralph Hill, 906 Ohio St.
    The movie “Bombardier” was opening at the Augusta Theater and huge crowds were expected trying to catch a glimpse of Augusta’s B-17 pilot Lt. John Wedding, who had a small part in the movie.
    60 YEARS AGO
    1953
    The entire city was sprayed for flies from air by Al Guy, municipal airport manager.
    Augusta’s newest business, Lehr’s Restaurant and Motel, announced a formal opening and open house at the new location on W. 7th, located on the edge of what was the city limits at that time. The new place was a partnership belonging to Charles and Carl Lehr, with Carl as manager.
    Disproving the idea that there weren’t any big ones in the city lake, three off-duty police officers, John Watkins, Charley Guy and Chief Frank Bennington posed with a 35-pound flathead catfish taken from the deep water of the old original channel a few feet north of the dam.
    50 YEARS AGO
    1963
    A 19 year-old Augusta youth drowned while on an outing at the Courtney Davis Lake, 10 miles southeast of Newton. Authorities surmised the youth dived into the water and struck a concrete embankment which lined the entire lake.
    The Kansas Supreme Court ruled against an El Dorado mother who insisted on teaching her four children at home instead of sending them to school.
    After being involved in a traffic mishap with another couple, L.A. Knebler of Augusta, drove the two people to their home in Missouri, over 250 miles from Augusta.
    40 YEARS AGO
    1973
    Frank Miller was elected president of the local Board of Education.
    Victor Clark retired from the Mobil Oil refinery. He went to work at the refinery in 1942.
    Augusta Girl Scouts Cynthia Graber and Nancy Kohman had returned from a 100-mile Mississippi River canoe trip. The girls represented the Four Winds Girl Scout Council on the two-week event.
    Page 2 of 2 - 30 YEARS AGO
    1983
    The purchase and training of a dog to sniff out drugs in school was being considered as a joint proposition with the Augusta Safety Department and the USD 402 Board of Education.
    Keith Scholfield was the Board of Education president and Bill Burghart, the vice president.
    James Glaze was 230th in a field of 28,000 runners at the Annual Peach Tree 10K Road Race in Atlanta, Ga.
    Prairie State Bank was expanding into the West/Scott Building next door. The $300,000 expansion would provide about 6,000 square feet of additional space on two floors.
    20 YEARS AGO
    1993
    Four Augusta youths were selected to the All-Star teams in the Butler County basketball summer league; Dan Nickel in the college division, Martin Shetlar and Lucas Sims on Team One, and Ryan Miller, Team 2.
    Hillside Funeral Home was officially open at 6th and Walnut. The new facility was designed by th William Morris & Associates, and remodeling was by McCollom Construction, both of Augusta.
    10 YEARS AGO
    2003
    Mercedes “Sadie” Crawford had been named as a recipient of the scholarship established in memory of slain Augusta high school teacher-coach Jason Befort.
    Mayor Ross Rountree was reminding residents that the city’s water restrictions were still in effect despite some “observed violations.”
    Developer Bob Whittaker spoke to the Augusta City Council about his plans for the first phase of The Greens at Willowbrook Subdivision off of Custer Lane on the city’s east side.
      • calendar