A few months ago, the Kansas Legislature passed a bill to allow citizens with a concealed carry permit to bring firearms onto government property.
During their Tuesday meeting, Butler Community College trustees voted to continue Butler’s policy of not allowing guns on any of its campuses.
The legislation allows exemptions for four years, and requires the trustees to submit their reasons for exemption to the attorney general and to conduct a study on whether or not the exemption is in the best interest of the institution.
In other business, the trustees:
• received an operational staff report.
• received a faculty report.
• received a report from interim president Dr. Karla Fisher.
• received a presidential search update.
• discussed proposed policy changes and new policies.
• approved a performance contract investment grade audit.
• ratified resolution 98-4 for payment of claims.
• approved the Rave Mobile Safety System invoice.
• approved the 2013-2014 paper bid.
• approved the Ellucian Maintenance Agreement.
• approved the Swanson House contract.
• ratified the Prairie Land Enterprises, Inc. lease.
• ratified the Workforce Alliance lease extension.
• approved the 2013-2014 High School Articulation Agreements for Career Pathways with USD 385 – Andover and USD 259 – Wichita.
• approved Michael Cissell as temporary full-time English instructor.
• approved Robin Crowe as behavioral science instructor.
• approved S. Cheree Anthony-Encapera as behavioral science instructor.
• approved Rick Neubauer as physical education instructor.
• approved Teresa Mayginnes as public & technical services librarian.
• approved a contract for Theresa Rinkenbaugh, head cheer coach.
• approved a contract for Doug Chance, head softball coach.
• approved a contract for BJ McVay, head baseball coach.
• approved a contract for Ty Reese, assistant baseball coach.
• approved a contract for Zack Sigler, assistant softball coach.
• approved a contract for Jason Santangelo, assistant baseball coach.
• accepted the retirement of Daryle Baltzer, international student advisor.
• approved Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas as insurance provider for college employees.