By William Dameron
April 26, 2013
All sorts of things show up as emails from friends (or sometimes, from enemies). Here are some examples.
A friend emailed this to me. It’s appalling news from the Washington Post:
***************** Darn that pesky global warming.......................
Link to Snopes -- the article is real.
I have no idea where this came from or who wrote it. It may not actually be from a Canadian. But, it makes a lot of sense to me:
TOP 10- "ONLY IN AMERICA " OBSERVATIONS -- BY A CANADIAN*
1) Only in America could the rich people - who pay 86% of all income
taxes - be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who
don't pay any income taxes at all.
2) Only in America could people claim that the government still
discriminates against black Americans when they have a black
President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal
workforce is black while only 12% of the population is black
3) Only in America could they have had the two people most responsible
for our tax code, Timothy Geithner, the head of the Treasury
Department and Charles Rangel who once ran the Ways and Means
Committee, BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher
4) Only in America can they have terrorists kill people in the name of
Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims
might be harmed by the backlash.
5) Only in America would they make people who want to legally become
American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens
of thousands of dollars for the privilege while they discuss letting
anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become
6) Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the
budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as
7) Only in America could you need to present a driver's license to
cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.
8) Only in America could people demand the government investigate
whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas
went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company
( Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes
9) Only in America could the government collect more tax dollars from
the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a Trillion
dollars more than it has per year - for total spending of $7-Million
PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.
10) Only in America could politicians talk about the greed of the rich
at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.
The following came to me in March, without authentication. It was described as a list of “Paul Ryan’s Proposed Budget Cuts.”
Actually,according to Snopes, the list came from Jim Jordan. Link to Snopes article on budget cuts.
It’s a darned good list. I might keep the Amtrack subsidy. I don’t know whether Obamaphones are in here by some other name, but I’d cut that.
I would also reform disability pensions, which are running wild now, and take a hard look at food stamps.
Here it is:
PAUL RYAN'S PROPOSED BUDGET CUTS
A List of Republican Budget Cuts
Notice S.S. and the military are NOT on this list.
These are all the programs that the new Republican House has proposed cutting.
Read to the end.
(Talk about a Pork Barrel........)
* Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy -- $445 million annual savings.
* Save America 's Treasures Program -- $25 million annual savings.
* International Fund for Ireland -- $17 million annual savings.
* Legal Services Corporation -- $420 million annual savings.
* National Endowment for the Arts -- $167.5 million annual savings.
The Washington Post
The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway.
Reports from fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.
Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well-known glaciers have entirely disappeared.
Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.
* * * * * * * * *
I apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 90 years ago. Those coastal cities must be way under water by now.
* National Endowment for the Humanities -- $167.5 million annual savings.
* Hope VI Program -- $250 million annual savings.
* Amtrak Subsidies -- $1.565 billion annual savings.
* Eliminate duplicating education programs -- H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.
* U.S. Trade Development Agency -- $55 million annual savings.
* Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy -- $20 million annual savings.
* Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding -- $47 million annual savings.
* John C. Stennis Center Subsidy -- $430,000 annual savings.
* Community Development Fund -- $4.5 billion annual savings.
* Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid -- $24 million annual savings.
* Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half -- $7.5 billion annual savings
* Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20% -- $600 million annual savings.
* Essential Air Service -- $150 million annual savings.
* Technology Innovation Program -- $70 million annual savings.
* Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program -- $125 million annual savings..
* Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization -- $530 million annual savings.
* Beach Replenishment -- $95 million annual savings.
* New Starts Transit -- $2 billion annual savings.�������
* Exchange Programs for Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts -- $9 million annual savings
* Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants -- $2.5 billion annual savings.
* Title X Family Planning -- $318 million annual savings.
* Appalachian Regional Commission -- $76 million annual savings.
* Economic Development Administration -- $293 million annual savings.
* Programs under the National and Community Services Act -- $1.15 billion annual savings.
* Applied Research at Department of Energy -- $1.27 billion annual savings.
* Freedom CAR and Fuel Partnership -- $200 million annual savings..
* Energy Star Program -- $52 million annual savings.
*Economic Assistance to Egypt -- $250 million annually.
* U.S.Agency for International Development -- $1.39 billion annual savings.
* General Assistance to District of Columbia -- $210 million annual savings.
* Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority -- $150 million annual savings.
*Presidential Campaign Fund -- $775 million savings over ten years.
* No funding for federal office space acquisition -- $864 million annual savings.
* End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.
* Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act -- More than $1 billion annually.
* IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget -- $1.8 billion savings over ten years.
*Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees --
$1 billion total savings.(WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ABOUT?
You know what would happen to you if you didn't pay taxes?)
* Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees -- $1.2 billion savings over ten years.
* Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of -- $15 billion total savings.
*Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress. (WHAT???)
* Eliminate Mohair Subsidies -- $1 million annual savings.
*Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- $12.5 million annual savings� (WELL ISN'T THAT SPECIAL)
* Eliminate Market Access Program -- $200 million annual savings.
* USDA Sugar Program -- $14 million annual savings.
* Subsidy to Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) -- $93 million annual savings.
* Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program -- $56.2 million annual savings.
*Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs-- $900 million savings.
* Ready to Learn TV Program -- $27 million savings..
* HUD Ph.D. Program.
* Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.
*TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years
My question is, what is all this doing in the budget in the first place? Maybe this is why the Democrats are attacking Paul Ryan.