It took the Orioles seven innings to get on the scoreboard. It took them four more innings to score again.

Still, Mason Hiser's strong pitching performance and a late-inning push were enough for Augusta's baseball team to beat Wellington 3-1 after 11 innings Thursday evening. The win gave the Orioles a split after losing the opener 9-6 in Wellington.

Gannon Marcotte and Hiser drew walks, and Chase Winter got a hit to load the bases in the top of the seventh. Kolton Schenker then hit a deep sacrifice fly to center and drove in the Orioles' first run to tie the game 1-1. But as Augusta had done a lot of the day, the Orioles left on several baserunners.

Neither team mounted much offense to start the extras. Wellington got close to winning the game in the 10th with runners on the corner, but Hiser got a strikeout to end the inning.

In the top of the 11th, Hiser's first hit of the game drove in Preston Bevan for a 2-1 lead. Tyler Roberts later hit a sacrifice fly to add another run. The Orioles held Wellington scoreless in the bottom of the inning.

Wellington 9, Augusta 6

It was a roller-coaster win for the Diamond Dukes in game one of the double-header verses Augusta. Wellington was down 4-1 after the second inning, then their bats went to work in the bottom of the third.

That part of the inning looked to be going in Augusta's favor as Tyler Roberts, senior, got WHS' Parker Daughtery, junior, to ground out, and then struck out Austin Dunn, sophomore, who swung at the three pitches following the 1-0 count.

Wellington started their charge once the next batter, Loren Farley, senior, was walked. Alex Weiss, senior, bashed the ball to left-center field on a 3-1 pitch, good for an RBI double. When Farley crossed the plate, Augusta's lead was cut in half, 4-2.

Noah Wolff, senior, held the bat next for WHS, he drove in Weiss with an RBI single on a 1-2 count. The Dukes were within one. Ethan Carroll, senior, ran in place of Wolff, and stole second while Blane Anderson, senior was being walked by Roberts. Connor Burden, junior, was also walked by Augusta's arm, loading the bases.

It was time for Jalen Macias, junior, to face Roberts. Macias would end up being the winning pitcher of game one, but his play at the plate went a long way to propelling WHS to their second win of the season on April 25. Macias swung on a 3-1 throw and whistled the ball to the outfield, driving in Carroll, Anderson and Burden. Macias ended up on second base.

The Crusaders scored five runs with one out to go in the bottom of the third, the inning was over when Andrew Horn, senior, popped one up, putting an end to a rough outing for Augusta.

The Orioles did mount a comeback, they picked up a run in the top of the fifth and the top of the sixth, It was 7-6 Wellington headed into to the bottom of the sixth. In that half of the inning, Wellington picked up a little insurance scoring two runs. The last of which was a RBI base-hit from Weiss.

Now all Wellington had to do was play defense, a part of the game that lacked communication for the Crusaders for much of game one, providing some tense moments for WHS. Augusta's Tyler Bond, senior, was the first batter up, making it to first on a base-hit. Mason Hiser, sophomore, trickled the ball down the first base line; WHS reliever, Jerrod Huck, junior, ran for the ball, so did first baseman, Trevor Nance, sophomore, no one covered first and Hiser was safe.

The Crusaders were in a jam, up by three, with no outs; the O's had runners at first and second, with the tying run in the batter's box. Augusta's catcher, Chase Winter was in said box, he swung on an 0-1 count, ripping the ball up the middle through the air. Duke's shortstop, Weiss, snagged the ball as it traveled past second base, then tossed it to Horn for the 6-4 double-play. A squirrelly fly ball was popped up foul by Augusta's Kolton Schenker, junior. Nance, at first base, was there for the not-so-routine catch to end the game.