Our adult daughter has Stage IV Lung Cancer.

Dear Editor:

Our adult daughter has Stage IV Lung Cancer. Because she never smoked the likely cause is radon gas which according to the Surgeon General is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. This colorless, odorless, radioactive gas is created as uranium in the ground breaks down.

Outdoors it dissipates in a harmless way but if it collects in your house, especially in the basement, as in our daughter‘s case, it can be lethal. You can test your house using a kit available from hardware stores, the Extension office or on the web. If you have radon above a safe level, specialists can install a pump and get rid of it. This is one of the sure ways you can protect your family from this cancer.


- Don and Margaret Anderson, Winfield