The El Dorado Community Concert Association board members and volunteers met April 15 to receive their information notebooks and to kick off the 2013-2014 season ticket campaign.
President Lionell Butts thanked those attending for their commitment to spreading the word about Community Concerts and expressed his enthusiasm about the 76th season of ECCA.
“We believe we have selected five outstanding concerts for our 2013-2014 season,” said Butts. “We invite everyone to share in the excitement of these concerts.”
Scheduled concerts include:
• Anthony Kearns, 7 p.m. Oct. 22. A founding member of the Irish Tenors, Kearns is acknowledged as Ireland’s Finest Tenor. His repertoire spans Ireland to Broadway, inspirational to spiritual, operetta to grand opera.
• The Gothard Sisters, 7 p.m. Nov. 21. Greta, Willow and Solana Gothard will present a high-energy performance of singing, fiddling and Irish Step Dancing.
• The DePue Brothers Band at 3:30 p.m. Jan. 19, 2014. These four violinist brothers, joined by other family members, encompass a vivid blend of bluegrass, classical and rock genres. The band has appeared on PBS and one of the violin players was named Champion at a Bluegrass Festival in Winfield, Kan.
• Jesse Lynch’s Jazz 101, 7 p.m. March 11, 2014. Joined by bass and drums, Jesse Lynch leads the audience on a journey through the evolution and 101year history of jazz through music and a multi-media presentation. Lynch has appeared on the ECCA stage as accompanist with the American Tenors and Daniel Rodriguez.
• The Diamonds, 7 p.m. April 4, 2014. This classic Rock and Roll quartet rose to prominence in the 1950s and early 1960s with 16 Billboard hits including “The Stroll” and the instant, million-selling hit “Little Darlin.” The newest quartet members, playing saxophone and trombone, joined by piano and drums, present a history of rock ‘n’ roll.
Shirley Longfellow, subscription vice-president and campaign chair, outlined procedures for volunteers and listed the types of season tickets available, which are: Adults, $45; Students, $10; Family, $95 (parents/grandparents and children 18 and under); Single Family, $50 (single parent/grandparent and children 18 and under).
For season ticket information call Shirley Longfellow at 321-6742 or Sheila Johnson at 321-9601. Season tickets are available from any ECCA volunteer or board member. The subscription drive will end May 8.
Volunteers are: Joan Clark, Alice Farmer, Marietta Gann, Lou Harms, Amy Nickels, Marie Waltman and Aline Thompson in El Dorado, Teresa Bachman in El Dorado and Augusta, Beth Collett in Marion-Florence and Jan Kemp in Towanda.
Board members are: Lionell Butts, David and Shirley Longfellow, Steve and Beverly Love, Phil and Sheila Johnson, Dale and Debbie Dawson, Ralph and Lois Fairman, Charlie and Shirley Patton, Ron and Lois Starr, Bill Johnston, Mary Ellen Baker, Susan Zieman, Peggy Krause, Carolyn Dwire, Ruth Gray, Patty Grove, Bill Kloeblen and Bruce Givens.
Page 2 of 2 - The season ticket drive is held at this time of the year because assembling the audience before committing to the concerts is necessary to assure that funds will be available to pay the artists.
Donor funds are solicited from generous businesses and individuals to pay local production costs and offset artist’s fees for student outreach programs while keeping individual season ticket prices reasonable. Contributions above, the value of season tickets, are tax deductible.
ECCA is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization which has committed itself to enriching the cultural life of the community for 76 years. ECCA concerts are the best entertainment bargain to be found. In addition to the five excellent programs scheduled for El Dorado, season ticket holders may attend concerts in Topeka, Chanute, Great Bend, and Ponca City, Okla., by reciprocal agreement.
All concerts are held at the El Dorado Middle School Auditorium, 500 W. Central, which is handicapped accessible and equipped with individual hearing devices for the hearing impaired. For more information visit www.eldoradokscca.org or www.360eldorado.com/AttractionsAndEntertainment/ElDoradoCommunityConcertAssoc.html.