A look at Augusta's past



Augusta High School Coach Dave Shirk was asking that anyone with spiked shoes to donate them to the high school track team, as not many were about to use a ration stamp to purchase a pair.

Workmen for the Haliburton Cement Co. had finished the repair work on the city lake dam.

The high school record of absenteeism and drop outs was worse than it had been for a number of years.

Roy and Harold Winzer bought the old O’Donnell farm, 4 miles east and 1 mile south of Augusta, at auction. The farm reportedly sold for $25 per acre.



R.C. Orput of Chilco, Calif., had left Augusta 40 years earlier, continued subscribing to the Gazette, and was planning to visit for the first time since his departure.

The Augusta Committee for Decent Literature was at work. Some of their members had found “objectionable” material on the stands at local drug stores. Disposed were a few pocket books, magazines and comics.

The Martin K. Eby Construction Co. of Wichita was low with a bid of $260,427.79 at the opening of bids for the construction of Augusta’s water treatment plant. Eby expected to start within 4-6 weeks.

The City Council was discussing fluoridation of the city’s water and determining the cost.



The Augusta City Council approved a pension plan for the city employees.

Elmwood Cemetery fees were being reviewed. There were no more lots available in the “old” cemetery and fees would remain the same for the lots in the “new” cemetery; five lots for $100. The burial fee for residents or those owning property here was $5, while the burial fee for non-residents was $50. City employees would no longer be used for digging graves under a new ordinance. The funeral homes would have to arrange the job and would be governed by a maximum fee of $30 for a grave.

The Augusta Orioles basketball team advanced to the Class AA Regional semi finals at Wichita North by edging the Wichita North Redskins 59-56 in an overtime game. Mike Hastings was Augusta's top scorer.

Two more area schools, Douglass and Rose Hill, would go to the polls to vote on unification.



Floyd McMullen from Garden City, was to be the new principal at Lincoln Elementary, succeeding Bill Kimble.

Virginia Mead, fifth grader, was the spelling bee champ at Garfield Elementary.

Frank Miller was seeking re-election to the Augusta Board of Education and Norman R. Stewart had filed to run against Miller.



Students were told that they’d be attending three more days of school in May to make up for three days in February missed because of snow.

James Glaze competed in the Fifth Annual St. Patrick’s Day Race in Manhattan and placed 22nd overall.

Ken Brinkman was elected 1983-84 president of the Augusta Lions Club.

Some AHS students with the help of AHS instructor Steve Pazzie and Garfield Elementary Principal Bob McCalla, designed and constructed a three-tiered reading loft at Garfield’s library.

Robinson Elementary was fighting an outbreak of chicken pox.



AHS Oriole basketball player Megan Little was named to the All Class 5A First Team.

Dalton Patterson of Augusta, was elected president of Augusta Progress, Inc. (API).

Eric Courtwright received the Eagle, Scouting’s highest rank.



Robert A. “Bob” Munroe, 82, attorney for over 50 years and Augusta Municipal Court Judge, had died.

David Henning, Nick Spaht, and Thomas Henry were named to the Kansas Wrestling Association’s Annual Academic All-State Team. Jesse Smith received honorable mention.

U.S. forces launched their long-awaited war against Saddam Hussein, targeting him personally. Prayers for American soldiers and coalition forces were lifted from churches in Augusta during special services.