Summer recess from school doesn't need to be dead time for children. There's loads of free and fun activities to grow their brains this summer.
Summer recess from school is not only dead time for many children academically, but they can also regress -- forgetting what they learned in school.
• Left to idle in low gear during the summer, kids’ brains might not get enough stimulation to maintain and develop their academic and social skills.
• Don’t let summer be a lost opportunity for your children to build skills needed to get good jobs and live stable and productive lives as adults.
A free fix: Send your kids to fun activities programs in El Dorado this summer.
• The El Dorado Times edition on Saturday included a insert: 2013 Summer Youth Activity Guide.
• It lists many of the programs offered this summer, including the USD 490 Summer Academy, Library programs, Vacation Bible School opportunities, and many, many more.
USD 490 Summer Academy in June
This is not summer school as we used to know it (remedial ed for kids who failed a class), but rather an enrichment program for all grades (K-12) with fun activities - more like summer camp. It’s like sneaking veggies into a casserole to get your kids to eat nutritiously -- fun activities that kids will enjoy while building skills they can use for life!
• Expanding horizons classes range from: Digging Dinosaurs and Space Exploration to Weather Detectives.
• Art classes range from: drawing, painting, decoupage, and multi-media designing to writing and illustrating your own book.
• Classes for animal enthusiasts include: farm animals, reptiles and live insects, taking care of zoo animals (“ZOObilee Zoo”), and animals living in oceans.
• For physical activity, there’s “P.E. is for me!” and Fun with Fishing [yes, kids will actually be fishing at the lake]. For a modest fee, swim classes are offered by the Rec Dept. with free shuttle service from Skelly School to the swimming pool.
And best of all, most everything is free!
• USD 490 classes are free, and classes offered by partner programs are free or affordable (scholarships available for many).
• The shuttle bus is free to and from other schools to Skelly School where the Summer Academy takes place.
• Free breakfast and lunch is provided for all kids who register and attend the Summer Academy.
The deadline to enroll children in the Summer Academy is May 3.
Free summer activities and meals for kids in El Dorado: Community Grace at its best!
Resources: June - July activities for children
• USD 490 Summer Academy: register by May 3 - http://www.eldoradoschools.org/students/2013summeracademy/default.aspx
• Bradford Memorial Library: “Dig Into Reading” programs - http://kids.bradfordlibrary.info/ or call 316-321-3363
• Butler Community College: Kids’ College - www.butlercc.edu/non_credit/kids_classes.cfm or call: 316-322-3193 or 316-322-3247.
• Butler County EMS: Kids Camp - call 316-321-9260 for details.
• Butler County History Center: Summer Camp - register by July 1 - call 316-321-9333 or email email@example.com
• Cardinal Creek Farm: Nature Adventure - call 316-323-4609 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• El Dorado Rec Department: Summer Activities - www.eldoradorec.com or call 316-321-9100, ext. 130.
• YMCA: Fun & Fitness - call 316-320-9622