Due to the anticipated blizzard conditions, we will not have the City Council Work Session scheduled for 7:00 this evening. It will be re-scheduled.
Weather Update: Based upon everyone’s forecast yesterday afternoon, we expected by this time we would be experiencing the first part of our blizzard. If you look at the radar at this time, the storm is falling apart as it moves back to the north/northwest and encircling Butler County. Not that we want a blizzard, but the moisture is doing the same thing that we have grown accustomed to over the past few year as it breaks up as gets closer to the Butler County dome. Anyway, the forecast still is calling for blizzard conditions this afternoon into this evening. Snow forecasts have mellowed some and were reported this morning to be in the 7 to 11 inch range and lasting into Tuesday morning.
Our crews are ready to go as we wait for the snow. KDOT crews will keep their plows down as they go through town on Highway 77 and 54. The City Manager visited with Emergency Management and the National Guard would have some trucks available to haul snow if needed. There would be a cost per hour and we would pay for the fuel. There are several prerequisites and limitations that come into play if we use them (e.g. only work on snow routes, etc.). We will see what the storm brings.
The sanitation crews are out working and will continue as long as conditions allow and our employees are not at risk. City Hall is open and we will be open as well until conditions warrant closure.