A look back at Augusta's past



Many Augustans tuned their radios to the Tulsa-Tennessee Sugar Bowl game. Calvin Purdin, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.O. Purdin of Augusta, played right half for Tulsa and caught a touch down pass.

A call went out for hunting knives to be shipped to American soldiers fighting in the South Pacific, who needed them for cutting their way through jungles and close combat.

Ladies with blonde hair at least 14 inches long were being asked to donate their tresses to the war effort. The hair, to be used for bombsights on bombers, was required to be untouched by chemicals, hot irons and waving machines.



The Augusta Orioles won their fifth game of the season by beating Planeview 56-48 in a real “thriller.”

The Augusta Post Office had moved from second class category to that of first class. Augusta’s receipts for the previous year had exceeded $40,000.

Glen Tarrant, 47, became the new Butler County Sheriff. He succeeded Alva Gill.



Augustans were getting the opportunity to receive the newly-developed Sabin Type 1 oral polio vaccine at a clinic set up at the local Elks Lodge.

The Northern Heights Baptist Church had a new minister. Donald Scott from Clinton, Okla., had moved here with his wife and three children.

The Thunderbirds of the new Circle High School in Towanda was coming to Augusta to play the Orioles in basketball.

Terry Dean Haynes, son of Mr. & Mrs. Donald D. Haynes, was Augusta’s First Baby of 1963.



Lloyd Lunger had announced that he had leased the former Loadcraft plant and was remodeling and equipping it for the new home of Lunger Furniture. Lungers in the 400 block of State would become Augusta Furniture, a clearance center.

Augusta was hit with 5 inches of snow and a low temperature of 5 below.

Bill Kimble, principal of Lincoln Elementary, had resigned and was looking to go into a health-related field.

Melissa Rae Dowell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Dowell, was Augusta’s First Baby of 1973.



Mobil Refinery in Augusta had issued a directive to all employees. They were to report to work clean shaven. Mustaches were acceptable, however.

Sergeant Craig Murphy of the Butler County Sheriff’s Department had been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. Murphy had worked nine years with the Augusta Department of Safety before joining the Sheriff’s Department as a deputy.

A representative from the Kansas Bureau of Investigation was instructing local police dispatchers on the use of the new National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer.

Robert “Bob” Shryock, a member of the Augusta City Council since 1973, had filed as a candidate for re-election as mayor of Augusta.



Construction of the new Ewalt Elementary was going to cost the City of Augusta between $100,000 and $200,000 because a new power line to that location would need to be installed.

Matthew Clayton King, son of Dan and Marti King, was Augusta’s First Baby of 1973.

A 7-inch snowfall blanketed the area and more snow was expected.

Augusta attorney Charles M. Hart took the official oath of office to become judge of the 13th Judicial District.



Augusta High School Band Director Todd Hollis, a member of the 226th Engineer Company, was called up by the Kansas Army National Guard for active duty.

Ely Keith Wilcox, sone of Ryan and Mandy Wilcox, was Augusta’s First Baby of 2003.

Tyler Brewer, a veteran of the Wichita Police Department, would begin his duties new Director of Public Safety in Augusta on Jan. 20th. He succeeded David Pate, who retired.