Things to do this month
The holiday season officially arrives in Augusta this weekend and events are scheduled throughout the month. There is sure to be something to please everyone.
• This Saturday, Dec. 1st, the Augusta Public Library will host the 11th Annual Snackin' With Santa event, with two sessions, one at 9:30 a.m. and one at 11 a.m. Reservations are required. Call the library at 775-2681. The popular event is sponsored by the Friends of the Augusta Library.
• The Augusta First Southern Baptist Church, 2206 Ohio, will host a free brunch for all hunters from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 1.• Saturday evening will be the annual Christmas Gala at 7:30 p.m. at the Augusta Historic Theatre, sponsored by Headley Funeral Home and Augusta Family Chiropractic. The evening will feature lots of beautiful holiday music, delicious food and the classic movie, The Bishop's Wife. Don't miss this downtown holiday tradition. Call 775-2900 to make your reservations.
• The Augusta First Baptist Church, 1501 State, will present their Children's Christmas program at 4 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 4th.
• The Augusta High School Holiday Concert will be held at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 4, in the high school auditorium. Before the concert, the Show Choir will be holding a silent auction to raise funds for their out of state competitions. Winners will be called after the show. The auction items include:
~ Two tickets to "Dreamgirls" Presented by Theatre League
~ Dinner at River City Brewery
~ Pearl Necklace from The First Place
~ Two free make up applications from Beau Monde Salon
~ Estee Lauder make up and case
~ Hair cut and style from Hair Fantastic
~ Tanning Sessions from Salon Sa-Haira
~ Dillons Gift Card
And lots more.
This is your chance to help the choir and enjoy a wonderful concert by AHS vocal and band students.
• The students will present a Christmas Concert for Senior Citizens, at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 5, in the AHS auditorium. All senior citizens are invited to attend this special event.
• The Music & Magic of Christmas Parade will be at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 6, in downtown Augusta. The Music and Magic of Christmas will feature traditional floats and non-traditional floats with prizes being awarded for first, second, and third place in both categories. Santa will arrive at the Augusta Historical Museum food will be served at the Augusta Arts Council Gallery, just north of the Theatre, and the Augusta High School Music Department will have carolers throughout the parade route and much more! Don't forget to bring a donation for the Caring Center - toys are needed. For information on registering a parade entry, contact the Augusta Chamber of Commerce at 775-6339.
• The Augusta First Christian Church, 1600 State, will host A Night in Bethlehem from 6 to 9 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 7, and Saturday, Dec. 8. Journey back to Bethlehem on the night of Jesus' birth. Enjoy the hands-on Holy Land experience. Admission is $1 or a canned food item to be donated to the Community Caring Center.
• The holiday events will climax with the 81st Annual Free Kids' Christmas Movie at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 22, at the Augusta Historic Theatre. The Bisagno Family keeps this wonderful Augusta tradition going with a visit from Santa and this year's movie, The Grinch. Make sure your children and grandchildren are a part of the fun!
• The Lions Club Christmas Tree lot is open behind ACE Hardware on W. 7th St. Regular hours are 4 to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, and 1 to 5 p.m. on Sunday. There is a large assortment of beautiful trees.