In 2005, Butler County was given about a mile and a half of railroad right-of-way property near Augusta.
During their Tuesday meeting, the Butler County Commissioners voted to turn the deed of the old Burlington Northern right-of-way over to the City of Augusta.
“What this will do is give them access and ownership,” said economic development director David Alfaro. “Augusta has requested the quick claim deed.”
According to Alfaro, Augusta officials would like to see the property become part of a proposed trail west of the town’s depot.
In other business, the commission:
• approved the replacement of an ambulance engine with Farmer’s Repair in an amount not to exceed $18,000.
• received and opened sealed bids for a tarp machine for the Butler County landfill.
• received and opened sealed bids for a track type hydraulic excavator for the highway division of the public works department.
• approved the award of bids and authorization for the secretary of transportation to execute contracts for the west branch Whitewater River bridge replacement project on NW 50th Street to King Construction of Hesston in the amount of $699,614.43 and an intersection project at NW 30th and Butler Road to Lafarge of Wichita in the amount of $455,619.05.
• approved a memorandum of understanding between the Kansas Department of Corrections, City of El Dorado and Butler County for the utilization of inmate labor.
• held a work session to continue the county redistricting conversation.
• held a work session to discuss possible courthouse historic preservation projects. The commissioners have approximately $56,000 of a federal grant remaining. However, funding provided by the grant would have to be matched by the county. The commissioners felt there is not money in the budget for cosmetic renovations and plan to return the money instead of using it.
• granted permission to the department of community corrections to go out for bid for a transport vehicle. The department received a $20,000 grant which will be used to pay for the vehicle.
• noted they will be canvassing votes on Thursday.