Butler County Times Gazette
  • Trinity Academy scores 42 unanswered in comeback win over Orioles

    • email print
  • The Orioles couldn't have asked for a better start than what they got Friday night for Senior Night. Augusta jumped all over Trinity Academy in the first 18 minutes to the tune of a 21-0 lead. Three different Orioles scored, Augusta's defense was flying to the ball and the Knights kept making mistakes to make things worse. In the second half, Tyler Burns changed all that. Burns rattled off 131 of his 208 total rushing yards in the second half and scored touchdowns from 67, 24 and 12 yards out. Burns also returned an interception 55 yards for a score as the Knights scored 42 unanswered points on way to a 42-21 victory. "It's very disappointing. I told our guys don't be comfortable, don't be content. But credit to Trinity. They fought back. Their guys played hard, and they've got a special running back and player over there who can make plays, and probably will continue to make plays for the next two years," coach Roger Robben said, referring to Burns. To make matters worse, Tristan Finch, the leader of the Orioles, was injured on a running play where he was sandwiched by two defenders on his way to the ground late in the third quarter. Finch had to have his shoulder taped on the sideline and was unable to return to the game. Robben said that if Finch can't play next week, the Orioles will turn to backup quarterback Chase Hull, who finished Friday night's game. Connor Hurst also was unable to finish the game after getting shaken up. Finch was the one who got the Orioles' offense rolling. He had rushes of 14, 10 and 10 yards on the opening possession and finished the 11-play drive with a 10-yard score. On Trinity's second possession, quarterback Matt Jones threw a short pass that stayed in the air a little too long, allowing Hurst to undercut it for an interception at the Orioles' 22. Four plays later, Finch rolled out to his left and launched a deep pass to Hurst for a 73-yard bomb and a 14-0 lead. Augusta's defense made another momentum-shifting play when it recovered a fumble at its own 1 yard line to make a goal-line stand after the Knights drove 59 yards. From the shadow of his end zone, Finch rifled a pass to Caleb Dunn on a slant that turned into a 36-yard gain. Finch then ripped a 27-yard run, and later hit Hurst for 18 yards on an out route. Senior Brett Hamilton capped the 99-yard drive with a seven-yard touchdown run to lift the Orioles to a 21-0 lead. After getting some good field position, Trinity put together a six-play drive in a matter of just a couple minutes to score right before halftime to cut its deficit to 21-7. From the get-go in the second half, though, Trinity's offense kicked into high gear. Jones hit receiver Chris Eden, who beat his man for a 59-yard touchdown strike just three plays in. Burns later intercepted a pass by Finch and returned it to tie the game 21-21. Burns and the Knights never looked back from there. "The energy, the emotion we played with, just the overall attitude and effort," Robben said was the difference as the Knights came back. "Once some things didn't go well, we didn't deal with adversity very well. I thought we fought. We didn't just let them take the lead. But...guys not doing their jobs, mistakes hurt you in the end." Augusta had four turnovers for the game. Trinity had three. The Knights had 11 penalties for 103 yards; Augusta had nine for 60 yards. Hurst finished with four receptions for 111 yards. Finch had 22 carries for 134 yards and a touchdown on the ground, and completed 5 of 15 passes for 147 yards. Hamilton finished with 32 yards on seven carries. Preston Patterson added 31 rushing yards, Trae Goken had 29. Senior Tanner Brown led the team with six tackles. Seniors Kaleb Laubhan and Colby Willis both had two tackles. Nate Johnson had one tackle.
        • »  EVENTS CALENDAR