Butler County Times Gazette
  • Belinda Larsen: Our Yesterdays 7-25-12

  • A look at our past
    • email print
  • 70 YEARS AGO
    1942
    Boeing in Wichita reported that 40 percent of their work force was made up of women.
    Butler County health officials were called to Newton to assist with an epidemic of dysentery.
    The quota of scrap metal needed from each home in America was 37 pounds.
    Sing-O-Grams, social and holiday telegrams were all out for the duration of the war, as only communications vital to the war would be on the wires.
    Augusta High School began its 1942-43 football season on a muddy Worl Field with a 13-6 win over Valley Center.
    60 YEARS AGO
    1952
    AHS Coach John Hutter’s Orioles had eight returning lettermen: Paul Tague, William Lackey, Gary Agard, Allan Hurst, Darold Barb, Roger Hartman, Harold Arnold, and Don Asmussen. The Orioles won their season opener against Valley Center, 20-0.
    R.W. Stephenson and his clothing store celebrated 50 years in downtown Augusta.
    Kids were excused from school one afternoon in order to attend the circus that was in town.
    The Chamber of Commerce was advocating the installation of parking meters downtown and the City Council was debating the issue.
    50 YEARS AGO
    1962
    Prominent local businessman Lyman West, 78, had died. The retired realtor had been in failing health for some time.
    The El Dorado Wildcats, Augusta’s traditional rivals, defeated the Orioles 26-0 in the first game of the season.
    Jennifer Peterman was chosen Miss Augusta from a group of 10 queen candidates, sponsored by the Augusta Jaycees. Her attendants were Anna Frazier and Judy Martin.
    R.A. Munroe resigned as the city attorney and Morris Moon was named his successor.
    40 YEARS AGO
    1972
    Ed Bostwick was named Augusta Kiwanian of the Year.
    Pastor H.W. Hitzeman was leaving Christ Lutheran Church to accept a position in North Carolina. He had been in Augusta since 1962.
    Twenty-nine families attended the annual Northern Heights Block Party.
    The cornerstone for the new part of the First Baptist Church was set and a dedication service was held. A number of items and mementos were placed in the cornerstone.
    The mercury climbed to 80 degrees in an afternoon, and the overnight low dipped to 39 degrees that night.
    30 YEARS AGO
    1982
    The AHS math department had some new Apple computers and math instructor Cliff Tillett was teaching students how to used them.
    Ed Byrum, janitor at Robinson Elementary since its opening in the fall of 1962, was recognized on his 65th birthday. He had been Robinson’s only janitor up to his retirement.
    Page 2 of 2 - El Dorado made its first official commitment to sell Augusta raw water, but the City of Augusta would have to build a pipeline from the treatment plant to Getty Refinery, and from that point the water would be piped here through the Mulvane pipeline.
    20 YEARS AGO
    1992
    A new “Augusta Marching Orioles” banner for the AHS band was presented to band instructor Carl Schmenke, during halftime of the first home football game of the season.
    The Augusta Medical Complex Auxiliary celebrated its 20th anniversary with a banquet. Charter members who were honored: Irene Hill, Rose Rhine, Elsie Flaming, Murel Patterson, Bonnie Vancil, Margaret Hays, Capitola Simpson, Jeri Wilson, Thelma Gragg, and Betsy Thompson.
    The City Council voted unanimously to keep its policy concerning brick streets - a brick would be replaced with a brick.
    10 YEARS AGO
    2002
    A new and improved SW 70th St. from Ohio St. to Santa Fe Lake Rd. was officially opened with a ribbon cutting ceremony.
    SBA’s offer to acquire Augusta Regional Medical Center was not accepted and the counter-offer presented by the ARMC Board of Directors was not considered acceptable, thus ending talks which started at the beginning of 2002. The hospital would close in 60 days.

        calendar