A look at Augusta's past



Dr. S.N. Mallison of Augusta was elected president of the Kansas Public Health Association.

There was a group of Augusta men who met each morning at the southeast corner of 6th & State and re-assembled in the afternoons on the west side of State St. During the winter months they played checkers in the City Hall basement.

More pedestrian traffic than usual was noted between residential areas and downtown after a request from leaders in Washington, D.C. asking all people to institute immediate curtailment of automobile usage.



Two motorists near Douglass reported seeing a metallic saucer-like object, perhaps 40 feet long, 20 feet wide, with an orange light and windows, that flew parallel with their car.

A.C. Coats pulled in a 50 pound flathead at Santa Fe Lake.

The City authorized spending up to $1,600 for new downtown Christmas lights and decorations.



The numbers were in - swimming pool attendance for the summer hit a new all-time record according to pool manger Dick Moore. The final tabulation after the close of the pool was nearly 40,000 admissions.

There was an extensive fish kill in the Whitewater River near Augusta. It was believed a chemical of some kind had been put into the water and an investigation was underway.

The "Skeleton of Four Mile Creek" was finally going to the grave. The bones had been kept in the evidence locker of the Butler County Sheriff's office at El Dorado after being found two years previously on the bank of Four Mile Creek on the Clee Ralston farm four miles southwest of Augusta. The remains of an unidentified man were discovered by a fisherman.



The Augusta Orioles nosed out Goddard 12-8 in the final minutes of a Chisholm Trail League game at Goddard. The winning touchdown was set up by brilliant "toe work" of Oriole punter Kenny Wagoner.

A rash of car stereo player thefts that started at the junior college in El Dorado had spread to Augusta with at least 10 theft complaints to the local police department in one night.

The First Southern Baptist Church of Augusta was celebrating its 20th anniversary with a special Sunday of events.

A cocker spaniel named "Penny" had adopted seven St. Bernard puppies at the Bill Woodin home. The puppies had been abandoned by their mother and Penny had given birth to a still born puppy a week earlier.



Mayor Robert Shryock and City Manager Homer Bair attended the Mo-Ark Corps of Engineers' hearing concerning a reservoir at Douglass.

Augusta pharmacist Cletus Kappelmann of Cooper Drug, had won a $1,000 award in the Burroughs Wellcome Pharmacy Education Program.

The AHS Class of 1927 held their 55th class reunion at Lehr's with 19 class members in attendance.



The former auto dealership property at 6th & Walnut had been purchased by Olive Quiring Miller of Wichita and plans were made to open Hillside Funeral Home.

Augusta Orioles broke a nine-game losing streak that began on Sept. 13, 1991, with a 16-13 win over Goddard in the season opener.

Steve Shaffer, Augusta's Chief of Police since 1974, had resigned in the wake of news about more than $30,000 in civil judgements filed against him.



The gymnasium floor from the Augusta Junior High School had found new life at the Kansas City Cabela's store. The flooring was included in the General Store area of the Cabela's location.

Phil Douglas was re-elected president of the Augusta USD 402 Board of Education, and Randy McDaniel was re-elected vice president.

An endorsement from the Augusta Chamber of Commerce and dozens of signed petitions were taken to Susan B. Allen Memorial Hospital officials in regards to a possible SBA acquisition of Augusta Regional Medical Center.