Butler County Times Gazette
  • Belinda Larsen: Our Yesterdays 8-21-12

  • A look back into Augusta's past.
    • email print
  • 70 YEARS AGO
    1942
    Two new germicidal lamp units were placed in the boys' and girls' dressing rooms at the high school gym. It was expected that the lamps would reduce illness during the winter.
    A health and sanitation committee of the city council inspected the alleys behind the downtown stores and found a condition of "extreme carelessness and disregard for health."
    People flocked to Garvin Park for several evenings in a row to catch a display of shooting stars.
    The County Clerk announced that all Butler County towns had seen a decline in population for the year, except Augusta, which showed a gain of 353 people.
    60 YEARS AGO
    1952
    The high school study hall had been converted into a modern library. And there were new chairs and desks in the four first grade classrooms. School was set to start on Sept. 2.
    Augustans sweltered in 108 degrees heat one day and after a front moved through, the the temperature dipped to 68 degrees that evening.
    Residents stopped on State St. one evening and reported seeing "two eerie circles of light." Several witnesses mentioned flying saucers.
    A single paragraph included the following strange report: "The news from a reliable source is that there is a semi-nudist colony in the north part of Augusta."
    50 YEARS AGO
    1962
    Pauline Bostwick was elected president of the Augusta Board of Education. It was her second time to serve as president.
    The BOE was making plans to raze the old Garfield Annex building, but no bids for the demolition had bee received.
    Four young men; Rod McCallum, Harold Ralston, Rodney Vieux, and Stan Cyphers, all AHS 1962 grads, loaded up a car and trailer and headed for California. It was a trip to see the sights before heading to college in the fall.
    The Central Baptist Church at Santa Fe Lake, had received a new Hammond organ, a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Max Corbin.
    40 YEARS AGO
    1972
    The Santa Fe Depot at Douglass was closing.
    The annual St. James Ice Cream Social attracted almost 1,000 people.
    The American Legion sponsored swim meet at the local pool attracted 300 people. Mayor Newton Male and other officials presented awards tot he winners.
    30 YEARS AGO
    1982
    A huge thunderstorm hit Augusta with wind gusts breaking power lines and knocking out power, which left most of northern Augusta without power up to 4 hours. Most of the storm damage was near State and Kelly.
    Page 2 of 2 - Laura Teegarden was the new field advisor for the southern half of the Four Winds Girl Scout Council territory.
    Mayor Bob Shryock of Augusta and Mayor Herman Ogg of Douglass met with 5th District Congressman Bob Whittaker concerning the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Douglass Reservoir proposal.
    20 YEARS AGO
    1992
    Sue Hoefgen of Augusta was the new administrative assistant at the Butler County Economic Development office in Andover.
    Mike Clifton of Clifton & Howell accounting firm in Augusta was the new president of the Private Industry Council.
    Augusta's Historical Society was working hard on their plans for the community's 125th anniversary coming up in 1993.
    A new elementary school proposed in the $14.25 million bond issue of USD 402 already had a site and a name. The school would be on east Belmont and would be named Ewalt Elementary.
    10 YEARS AGO
    2002
    The Friends of Augusta Public Library hosted a farewell reception for library director Teresa Thurman-Zuck, who was leaving for a new job.
    City Attorney David All was selected as second vice president of the City Attorneys Association of Kansas.
    Augusta Regional Medical Complex had received notification from state and federal officials that it had attained critical access hospital status.
        • »  EVENTS CALENDAR