Augusta's volleyball players were working through hitting lines at a rapid pace with intensity. The football team broke off into position stations to get through various drills. The soccer team handled the ball in just about every running exercise it did.
Yes, the time of year has arrived as the fall sports teams for Augusta High School had their first team practice Monday, a day before school started. The middle school also began practices.
There was a brisk, swift feel to the practices. While still warm, athletes enjoyed a little breeziness and relief from the heat. Temperatures weren't nearly as dreadful as they have been most of the summer, making conditions a little more bearable.
For the first few practices for some teams, coaches will be evaluating during this tryout period. The football team won't put on the pads just yet, but soon teams will have their rosters filled as they will prepare for their upcoming season.
Augusta has brand new sets of schedules this year because of the move to the Ark Valley Chisholm Trail League Div. IV, with Andale, Circle, Clearwater. Collegiate and Wellington. Here's a look at the season-opening schedule for the varsity teams:
- Augusta volleyball @ Winfield tournament (9 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 25)
- Augusta soccer @ Winfield (6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28)
- Augusta girls golf @ Andover Invitational (9 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28)
- Augusta cross country @ Clearwater Invitational (4:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30)
- Augusta football v. Circle (Hillier Stadium, 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 31)
- Augusta girls tennis @ Andover Central Invitational (4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept 4)