A look back in Augusta's history



New officers were in charge of Leonard Whitehill American Legion Post #189. Capt. C.E. Black was serving as commander succeeding John Kipers.

The Gazette included a story about gypsies and a traveling carnival in Augusta. In one tent was a man who would take a live chicken, rat or snake in his hands and bite off the head. A few irate townsmen grew disgusted with the spectacle and formed an unofficial gun brigade. Carrying shot guns, rifles and revolvers they attended the show one night. The man with the show was informed that if he bit the head off another chicken, rat or snake, he'd have to swallow it or they, the townsmen would shoot him. According to the story, the man stopped biting heads.



A number of citizens were asked the City Council to place traffic lights at 5th and State, and at 6th and State.

A Wichita man burned to death and two others were injured when lightning hit a building they were in. The three were in a cabin at Shady Rest near Santa Fe Lake and had been fishing a few hours earlier and were asleep when the lightning hit.

An elderly woman died after a milk delivery truck backed over her in the alley behind 300 Main.



The Towanda Lumberyard, in the center of Towanda, was destroyed by a fire of undetermined origin.

Attendance at Augusta's swimming pool for the month of July went over the 13,000 mark.

The fountain and snack bar at the newly remodeled and enlarged Cooper Drug officially opened. A big grand opening was planned for September according to owner Cletus Kappelmann.

A new business, Gib's Pizza Villa, had opened at 428 State.



One of the improvements being completed before the 1972-73 school year was the new sidewalk in front of Garfield Elementary School.

A brick marker, a letter "A", and designed by John Bourget, was erected at the southeast corner of the Augusta Medical Complex.

The parking lot at the Augusta High School had finally been paved. Students and staff attending the first year at the new school parked on gravel.



There was a problem with the taste of the city's water and City Manager Homer Bair said he didn't know how long the problem would continue. The bad taste stemmed from algae at the lake and from a "turnover" of the water.

Russell "Bud" Mauk of Augusta was featured as one of Hatteberg's People on KAKE TV. Mauk was known as a woodcarver, collector, and jack-of-all-trades.

The City Park Board was discussing changes at Garvin Park. They included changing the road to a one-way and putting cables along the roads to prevent driving on the shoulders. More shelter houses, picnic tables and playground equipment were also proposed.



Asbestos from about 9,000 feet of piping had been removed by crews at the old Mobil refinery, as demolition at the site continued.

James Kunkel and his 1967 Chevy Camaro on the SuperPro Nationals at Wichita International Raceway.

After 21 years of working as Assistant Principal and Athletic Director at Augusta High School, Armand Hillier would oversee the athletic programming at AHS and AMS.

William D. "Bill" Rinkenbaugh of Augusta had been hired of dean of students at Butler County Community College.



The Augusta Skate Park Committee had taken the first steps toward raising the $60,000 needed to build a skate park under the U.S. 54-400 highway underpass.

The St. James Blue captured first place in the summer Church Co-Ed Softball League. First Christian Church finished second.

The City Council eliminated the Ohio St./Main St. truck route and changed the speed limit on Ohio from David St. to the city limits to 40 mph and 30 mph for southbound traffic.

Dr. Everett Johnson defeated his Republican rival in the primary to win the 77th District seat in the Kansas House of Representatives.