Butler County Times Gazette
  • Propane tank on grill starts El Dorado house fire

  • A couple planning to use their grill Sunday evening escaped serious injury after the grill's tank exploded.
    • email print
  • »  RELATED CONTENT
  • A couple planning to use their grill to cook dinner Sunday evening escaped serious injury after the 20 pound propane tank on their grill started a fire on their deck.
    According to El Dorado Fire Chief Ken Nakaten, after the husband started the grill, he noticed a small fire near the valve on the propane tank.
    He went inside to get something to extinguish the fire, and while he was inside, he heard an explosion.
    “The whole deck was on fire,” said Nakaten. “The valve blew out and the entire contents escaped and caught fire.”
    El Dorado firefighters were at the house in the 1900 block of Jason Drive from just after 5 p.m. until around 9 p.m.
    “By the time we got there, the entire back of the house was in flames,” he said. “The house is a total loss.”
    The homeowners, Van and Sharon Pooler were transported to Susan B. Allen Memorial Hospital, then Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis where they were treated for first degree burns and smoke inhalation.
    They were released from the hospital on Monday morning.
      • calendar