Two Manhattan residents have died from what appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning in their home.


Two Manhattan residents have died from what appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning in their home.

The Riley County Police Department says officers responded at 11:50 p.m. Sunday to a report of nonresponsive residents. Emergency crews found three people who apparently were overcome by carbon monoxide.

Riley County Police Lt. Herb Crosby told KMAN that a car was left running in a garage adjacent to the duplex. He says there's no evidence of criminal intent in the case.

The victims were identified as 25-year-old Jamie Lee Elliott, who died at a Manhattan hospital, and 22-year-old Lashawn Michael Veal, who died at the scene.

Twenty-two-year-old Maria Hightower was taken to Stormont Vail Hospital in Topeka. Her condition was not immediately available.