A baby contest was held and the winners were Linda Kay Rowland, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Rowland, and Mike Ballinger, son of Mr. and Mrs. Gene Ballinger.
The Manka Produce and Feeds Co. at 100 W. Fifth, was celebrating its 10th anniversary.
The largest group of Butler County men since the Korean hostilities began, were called to take their pre-induction physicals in Kansas City.
The Tripp twins, Ralph and Roy, were honored for their 40 years of service to the City’s electric department.
The City Council approved the installation of a traffic signal at State St. and Broadway, in front of the junior and high schools.
Further investigation by KU experts on the skeleton discovered by a couple fishing on Four Mile Creek, revealed the the skeleton to be that of a male and had been buried 1-15 years.   The Sheriff’s office and local authorities were continuing the investigation.
The A & W Drive-in on W. 7th had new owners.  Marvin and Shirley McCoy had purchased the business.
The Augusta High School debate team of David Moon and Steve Grennan took first place out of 44 teams competing at the Southwestern College debate tourney.
Until a successor could be found for John Mercer, City Manager who had died the week before, City Attorney Morris Moon was designated as acting City Manager, and City Clerk Fred Ortmann, would be assistant City Manager.
Interviews were being conducted for prospective employees of the new Wal-Mart store, under construction on N. Ohio St.
Lincoln Elementary celebrated its 30 year anniversary with a big week of special activities.
AHS?runners Jennifer Hillier and Danny Lara became the first Orioles to win the Ewalt medallion at the Augusta Cross Country Invitational.
Virginia Prier, an original member of the Lincoln Elementary staff, was planning to retire at the end of the school year.
Joan Stephenson was installed as the new president of the Augusta Optimist Club.  She was the first woman to hold the office in the local service club.
Emily Deaver took home the bronze medal in a seven team middle school cross country meet hosted by Augusta Middle School.
Eugene Green, who began donating blood in the 1950s, had donated nearly 36 gallons to the American Red Cross.