June 27 - July 5, 1958
The open house of Metz Lumber Co. drew over 1,000 people.
Award of a military contract in excess of $1.5 million to Spencer-Safford Loadcraft, Inc. was announced.
A bowling alley was being built on south State Street.
Drain’s Drugs was advertising their fountain specials - ice cream sodas, 23 cents, milk shakes 23 cents and banana splits were 29 cents.
June 26 - July 3, 1968
State Patrolman Charles Hanna had returned to Augusta on assignment.  A trooper since 1959, he had served here on his first assignment and then went on to serve in Cottonwood Falls and Valley Center.
Sherman Parry was elected president of the local school board.  He succeeded Newton Male.  W.E. Bohon was elected vice president.
The Holiday Bowl was open again  after re-surfacing the lanes and re-decorating.
June 27 - July 5, 1978
W. R. “Doc” Gentzler had purchased the two-story building on the northeast corner of Fifth and State.  His office occupied the ground floor.
The fountain area at Cooper Drug was being remodeled.
John Carlin, Democrat candidate for Governor was shown in a Gazette photo enjoying coffee downtown with residents John West, Austin Phillips, Burl Allison, Jr., and State Senator Frank Gaines.
The Fourth of July temperature was 101 degrees as hundreds of residents enjoyed a morning parade downtown, afternoon activities at Garvin Park, and a fireworks show at the lake.
June 28 - July 5, 1988
Bryan Roby and Gus Garcia of Augusta had been selected to participate in the 1988 All State Wrestling match in Topeka at Washburn University.
Ten-year-old Dallas Ulrich of 241 E. Kelly was photographed in his backyard of sunflowers which had grown to over 12 feet high.
Lawrence Lipscomb of rural Augusta, was a wizard of the game of checkers and was on his way to compete in a national championship tournament in Virginia.
June 29 - July 6, 1998
The dry heat wave had not only forced the City Council to take measures to conserve water, but the Council also authorized the ban of fireworks in the City.
Augusta’s Air Museum had taken delivery of a World War II landing craft and the museum had also earned its 501c3 tax exempt status.
Community-minded resident Rupert Hays had died at 74.  He was the longtime manager of the former Criss Optical plant and was very active in the Optimist Club.